The Hotel and Vendor Coordinator is responsible for the set-up, maintenance, and quality of all trip logistics for their assigned regions to include secondary contracting, vendor communication, inventory management, air and land transfers, tour product build, and overall logistics.
- Strive to meet excellence goals in all areas of trip logistics for both VBT and Country Walkers brands.
- Create strong relationships with all vendors; assist with resolution of vendor issues.
- Manage secondary vendor partnerships including the negotiation of costs and contracting for restaurants, transportation, and activities; ensure all signatures and rates are confirmed.
- Manage on-going communication with both hotels and secondary vendors in regards to status reports, rooming lists, late guest adds/cancellations, tour cancellations, and inventory requirements.
- Create and manage hotel and secondary vendor files.
- Build tour packages including the creation of all services, costs, and departure dates in the company reservation system.
- Manage room allocations; work with sales and customer service to ensure that trip inventory is correct and adjusted as needed.
- Request and confirm all Air Package and Flight + Tour Combo pre/post and extension reservations with world-wide hotels and operators.
- Assist Product Directors with the creation of new packages. Create and update Air Flow Charts.
- Coordinate guest transfers and provide all transportation companies with transfer grids and updates as needed.
- Coordinate and schedule “meet and greet” personnel for relevant tours.
- Run and send quality reports to all hotels and secondary vendors as requested by Product Directors.
- Assist with research and development of new properties, transfer companies, and secondary vendors as needed.
- Work with guides and leaders to create route directions and maps.
- Assist Product Directors with the creation and updating of confirmation packets, handbooks, and all relevant marketing materials.
- Assist with after-hours emergencies as needed when contacted by Allianz.
- College degree or relevant professional experience
- 1-2 years office or administrative experience with an emphasis on customer service
- Ability to work independently and meet strict deadlines
- Extremely detail-oriented, organized, and able to multi-task in a fast paced environment
- Willingness to become proficient in our reservation system for guest and tour maintenance
- Ability to approach a fast-paced and constantly changing industry with flexibility, creativity, and a positive attitude
- Strong interest in active, healthy worldwide travel preferred
- Travel industry experience preferred
- Basic mathematical skills and contract negotiation skills required
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills required
- Exceptional technical skills; computer operations, systems navigation, data entry required
At Country Walkers we pride ourselves on our expert, local guides and recognize that an amazing guide makes an unforgettable trip! We welcome applications for new guides but ask that you first review the section below titled What we look for in a potential Guide. We receive hundreds of applications every year and will only consider those meeting the required criteria.
Guiding for Country Walkers:
Guides work on a freelance basis and are paid a daily wage. All tour-related expenses are covered by Country Walkers. Some guides may lead only 2-3 trips a year while others may guide 6-8 trips. Guides are NOT able to work full-time, year-round with us due to the limited number of departures we offer in each region.
What we look for in a potential guide:
- Full guide licensing for your region.
- Intimate knowledge about and expertise in your region whether it be natural history, art, architecture, food, wine, cultural and political history, geology, music, folklore, or local flora and fauna.
- Residence in or near the region in which you guide.
- English and local language fluency.
Other skills we look for include:
- Superb people and customer service skills: outgoing, confident, and fun personality; being at ease when speaking to groups and being a spirited conversationalist.
- Experience in handling multiple logistics.
- Ability to communicate well with local vendors including hotels, restaurants, and transportation companies.
- Passion for walking and the outdoors; physical fitness.
- Ability to work and connect with a co-guide; including sharing a room on tour with a guide of the same gender.
- In the United States and Canada, the ability to safely drive a 12-passenger van; clean driving record.
- Ability to handle and manage a tour budget.
- First aid skills and CPR certification.
- Well-rounded life experience.
- Prior guiding is strongly recommended but not required.
When and how to apply
We recruit and schedule guides on a year-round basis, however, most of the scheduling is confirmed during the late fall or early winter for the following year.
Thank you for your interest in guiding for Country Walkers!